crochet body project

A writer and art educator sets out to crochet a full-body self portrait.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

update: practice head

Last night I worked on the practice head in the company of a couple of artist friends, and added eyebrows and some hair. I still think the lips are too large, but my friends like them as is. What do you readers think?

We each had a project we were working on, and it was so good to get together and discuss our work. I got some great feedback which I think will help me as I expand on the crochet body concept. We also bandied about ideas for a performance/film aspect of the crochet body.

I had such fun chatting and working on the head that I managed to stay out well past my usual bedtime, which I hadn't at all intended to do. Today I am very very tired.

3 Comments:

Anonymous katie bishop said...

hi, i'm not a blogger (mm..yet!?) but i love your crochet head!
so refreshing to find someone doing something interesting and not just moaning about stuff, gets so boring!
urm.. ideas for a film..crochet woman goes to a restaurant, falls in love with a gorgeous waiter and eats free spaggheti.
crochet woman goes sailing and mistakenly gets used as a fishing net, but catches lots of fish, that everyone can eat. but also has a run-in with a shark and a near - death experience (this is a horror of course!)
well, that should keep you going for a while, good luck with the shark !!!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Coulter said...

Intriguing project! Is the hair just strands of yarn (hard to tell from the photo)? If you want a more constructed look, you could make individual hairs by chain-stitching. I agree that the lips aren't quite right (at least based on your photo).

9:45 PM  
Blogger tria said...

Thanks, Mrs. C! The hair on the practice head is indeed just strands of yarn. I may unravel the strands for a more wavy look--I'm not sure. The chain-stitch option is interesting as well, though. Thanks for stopping by!

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home