crochet body project

A writer and art educator sets out to crochet a full-body self portrait.

Monday, August 07, 2006

practice head: some ideas for improvement

I've done a bit of reworking on the practice head. I'll post a photo later, when Winston's free to take one.

I took off the misplaced ear, but haven't replaced it yet.

I made the eye, nose, and mouth holes smaller. This improved the appearance of the nose and mouth quite a bit, but something is still off about the eyes--they pull down at the outer corners. I'm going to have to rethink how I create the eyeholes, maybe doing a more defined gradation of stitches to create more almond-shaped openings.

I added lips to the mouth. They look a bit too cartoonish, though, so I need to scale them down. The right side (my right when wearing the head) of the upper lip is nice, but the left is not so graceful. I think I have an idea for using a different stitch to create a texture that approximates the vertical lines of the lip. I'll have to do some practicing to see if I can figure out how to create what I see in my mind's eye.

I also started the back slit too high on the head. On the next practice head, I'll start the slit further down, below the "hair" color, which I think will make the head fit better.

As I've noted before, the chin and jaw are too large. I need to move into the chin about one row earlier, and join it into the neck more quickly. (This shows that the skin below my chin, which I hate so much that I've considered plastic surgery, may not be as large as I think it is.)

I still need to add ears, eyebrows, and hair. I want to get these elements in before moving on to the next practice head.

Also, right now, the entire head is worked in double crochet stitches. I'm wondering whether to switch to single crochet for the face to create a smoother appearance. However, my experience is that single crochet takes so much more time, and I worry that I'll get frustrated with the slow progress. Part of me likes the more homespun look of double crochet. I've got to think about this issue for a while, especially since I'm not sure whether it would make shaping the orifices easier or more difficult.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home