crochet body project

A writer and art educator sets out to crochet a full-body self portrait.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

the project begins

Recently, I came across a picture of a really frightening knit ski mask posted long ago on Swapatorium. Also, I happened to attend the opening of the Kiki Smith show at the Contemporary Arts Museum. These two things collided with my recently re-discovered interest in crochet to inspire a new art project: a crocheted full-body self portrait. Here, I plan to keep track of this project in all its phases.

Today I bought yarn to experiment with. I decided that working out a head would be a good first step. To that end, I bought some yarn that comes somewhat close to my flesh tone, hair tone, and lip color. I don't have a ski mask pattern for crochet, so I'm starting off with a skull cap form and improvising from there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home