crochet body project

A writer and art educator sets out to crochet a full-body self portrait.

Monday, July 31, 2006

progress update: practice head

We writers like to say that writing is rewriting. And I think also that crocheting will be recrocheting.

I'm happy that I was able to figure out how to shape the chin and guide it into the neck without having to make separate pieces that would be joined with seams. However, I made the chin too large and didn't cut it into the neck quickly enough, so I have a weird Neanderthal look going on here. I also misplaced the ear. I'm going to have to get in better touch with my own proportions.

Since this head is just a draft, I'm not sure whether to frog the stitches or just move on. I'm leaning toward just chugging away on this one, finishing out the details as part of that learning process, and then moving on to the next draft to see if I can do better. I have a feeling that once I get the head down, the rest of it will be smoother sailing.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying wearing this thing way too much.

3 Comments:

Blogger L said...

May I use your site when teaching a unit on self-portraiture to my Art I kids?

You know I Love your work Tria!

1:21 PM  
Blogger tria said...

Sure thing! Thanks!

4:06 PM  
Blogger identity 1K said...

I love where you're going with this!

The connection to the Cicada shedding and Kiki's figures is beautiful! How do you plan to get in and out of it anyway?

Since you've started, these are things I've run across:

A knitted tribute to Dawn of the Dead - http://electricbiscuitonline.blogspot.com/2005/10/dawn-of-knitted-dead.html
(SWBAT post links and pictures eventually...)

- and -

"The prettiest auto-erotic asphyxiation device you'll find anywhere" - a pattern for a crochet choker, not as cool as the descrip.

4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home